I noted at the beginning of my presentation, that I was going to intentionally violate all presentation tips I’d learned, because I was attempting to consolidate the last year and a half of my professional life into a 25 minute presentation (posts on that coming soon).
Well, I went over-time, because I went off-script, and after returning home from San Diego, I realized that I had failed to include something I feel is hugely critical – benchmarking.
I talked about analytics and universal KPI’s, but I completely failed to plan to discuss benchmarking.
For all the effort you put into a new site, you still need to demonstrate that it is an improvement. To accomplish this, you need to benchmark.
I am using two sets of data to benchmark, the first is our exit survey. The exit survey is basic by design as it is intended to quickly capture overall impression, top task, whether or not the task was accomplished, and if not why.
Obviously, we want the user to have a good experience. We also want to know what the user came to the site to do (as opposed to what we wanted him/her to do). We get this information by adding an exit survey to the site. These are opt-in and the intent is to ask permission prior to use to avoid having only very negative or positive results based on the session experience.
We will simply compare the satisfaction rate along with the top tasks percentage to both measure the success of the new site and to modify it.
The second set of data is what I’ve captured over the past two years from Google Analytics. We begin with all unique visitors, then filter out non-US and traffic from our own networks. The next sort removes anyone whose visit included pages regarding repair or reprocessing as these are deemed to be existing customers.
We then want to see those pre-sale site users who are engaged in the site copy. We measure this by looking at those who returned to the site within 90 days, visit 3 or more pages, and spend more than 3 minutes on the site. The next segment is those who visited a contact us page and finally those who submit a form (as we can’t currently determine how many users make a call to sales or service).
Since one of the goals of our site was to prepare the prospect for the conversation with sales, we can now sort traffic by pre-sale vs. post-sale and determine where in the funnel the site users are at.
We are also interested in where the site traffic is coming from. Were they specifically looking for Olympus or an Olympus product? Or were they looking for some type of device or product and found Olympus.
We accomplish this not by looking at organic traffic, but instead looking at direct traffic plus those from organic who used branded terms such as Olympus or product names. These users were Seeking. The Found traffic were those searching a generic product term, such as bronchoscope and came to the Olympus site.
We also look at Referrals (those who arrived via links from other sites and Campaign traffic, users we drove to the site. By doing this we have four main groups of site visitors and can assess our SEO vs. Campaign vs. Brand Awareness and allocate dollars and resources accordingly.
Finally, while I can’t compare, I will definitely report on the volume of calls originating from a site visit to repair, service, and sales. For repair and service, we will work with them to determine how we can better help users self-service (and thereby not need to call) and for sales we will report on sales and opportunity.
Demonstrating the value of your new website is critical to ensuring it is regularly maintained and a great way to make the site both Urgent and Important to everyone else in the business!